- 2016- 2018
- Millennium Challenge Account – Indonesia
- Waste to Energy
- Lead Strategic Advisory
- Area of Expertise:
- Feasibility Study, Waste Supply Management and Logistics, PPP Procurement, Value for Money, Legal and Institutional Compliance, Market Sounding, Stakeholder Dialogue
Strategic Advisory Services to Government of Indonesia - Waste to Energy Pilot Project, West Java Province
The Project is aimed to be procured resorting to a PPP and private financing method with an investment plan that has a thorough justification for the choice of the PPP considering pertinent legislative, financial, operational and economic aspects in the sector. The private sector will provide a facility for the final treatment and processing of Municipal Solid Waste from six Municipalities (Bandung City, Bandung Regency, Sumedang Regency, Cimahi City, Garut Regency and West Bandung Regency) and be responsible for the design, build, finance, delivery and operation of the project. The PPP option relies on private sector innovation and better delivery of quality infrastructure, and better waste management in the WTE sector. XS-Axis Consulting was appointed to LKPP and the West Java Provincial Government (GCA) to perform a feasibility assessment – particularly on the technologies basis of the Treatment Plant and payment mechanism. The viability of the project was determined from an economic point of view to determine the economically most efficient project alternative.
XS-Axis Consulting in close coordination with the technical engineers as advisers of GCA has helped review the inputs submitted by technical expert/s on applicable technological options regarding waste, country strategy and assess the implications on the WTE project; thus, come up with the best technological options for further analysis in the Pre-FS considering legal and financial parameters.
Scope of work and the assignment includes the following tasks:
- Lead and Support in reviewing and analyzing the current system of solid waste separation, collection and reprocessing for recycling.
- Review of Outline Business Case based on existing data and the Value for Money analysis to be embodied in the Pre-FS.
- Consideration international best practices in waste management and following the national waste hierarchy options to the maximum extent.
- Lead the technical team in carrying out a detailed analysis to select the best WTE technical option considering constraints such as limited water availability, environmental limitations, and current waste volume.
- Support technical team on the WTE PPP technological options and site selection and confirm these by screening the project against the country’s Environmental and Social Policy and associated Performance Requirements.
- Identify potential industrial users of separated materials and barriers existing to the development of a market for such products.
- Support in conducting successfully Market Sounding Event.
- Finalization of Pre-FS for Local Parliament approval and launch of the PPP as a tender in 2018.